Skip Navigation
Photo of Rochester The City of Rochester, New Hampshire
Rochester City Seal
This table is used for column layout.
City Clerk
Contact TypeContact Information
City Clerk
Deputy City Clerk
Assistant City Clerk
City Hall
31 Wakefield Street
Rochester, NH 03867
8 AM to 5 PM, M-F
Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page

The Rochester City Clerk office is now on Facebook!


What voting ward do I live in and where do I vote?
We have included a copy of a map of the city showing voting ward boundaries and voting locations on this WEB site.  To look at the map you will need to have Adobe software on your computer, which is available for free on the internet.  Please note that the map file is large and may take a fairly long time to download.  Once you have downloaded it, you can enlarge it by clicking on the "+" button.  You will need to enlarge it several times in order to be able to read the street names.  Voting locations are shown by a large star on the map and the addresses are shown on the legend in the lower right corner of the map.  If you still have questions, please feel free to call the Clerk's office at 332-2130.  To download the map click here.  To download a Street to Ward directory, click here.

Polling Places and Times

                       WARD 1:  VFW Post 1772
                                        43 Highland Street/Route 202, East Rochester

                       WARD 2:  St. Mary's Parish Center
                                        71 Lowell Street, Rochester

                       WARD 3:  Lilac City Estates/Function Room
                                        2 Roseberry Lane/Lilac City Estates, Rochester

                       WARD 4:  Rochester Home Depot
                                        280 North Main Street, Rochester

                       WARD 5:  Rochester Community Center [Chestnut Hill Road Entrance]
                                        Community Way, Rochester

                       WARD 6:  Elks Lodge #1393
                                        41 Columbus Avenue, Rochester           

In accordance with RSA 659:4, all polling places shall be open from 8:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M., on said Election Day(s).  

How do I register to vote?
Please see this NH Sectretary of State webpage for all the latest details related to voter registration in New Hampshire:

How do I get an absentee ballot for an election?

Requesting an Absentee Ballot
Anyone who will not be in the City on election day, or who cannot go to the polls due to physical disability or religious observance, may request an absentee ballot from the City Clerk's Office. An absentee ballot may be obtained by sending a written request, including the voter's signature, to the City Clerk's Office at 31, Wakefield Street, Rochester, NH  03867, or by visiting the City Clerk's Office and filling out a short form, including a signature. A photo id is required when requesting an absentee ballot in person. Only the voter may pick up his/her ballot from the Clerk's Office.

Casting an Absentee Ballot
Voters must either mail their completed ballot or personally return it to the City Clerk's Office at 31 Wakefield Street, Rochester, NH  03867.  (NOT to the State!)  No one may hand deliver a ballot except the voter casting that ballot. All absentee ballots that are hand delivered must be received into the Clerk's Office no later than 5 PM on the day prior to the election. All ballots returned through the mail must reach the Clerk's Office by election day. All absentee ballots will be delivered to the Moderators of the voters' respective wards, where the ballot will be opened and processed at a time specified by the Moderator of each ward. The opening of absentee ballots is done in a place and at a time to allow for public observation of the procedure.

How much does it cost to get a certified copy of a local vital record (birth, death or marriage record)?
$15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy.  

Who has access to local vital records?  
Inspection or disclosure of local vital records information is not permitted in New Hampshire unless a person has a direct and tangible interest.  The registrant, a member of his/her immediate family, his/her guardian, or their respective legal representatives are considered to have a tangible interest.  Any person shall be guilty of a Class B Felony if he/she willfully and knowingly makes any false statements in application for a certified copy of a vital record.

Need your vital record document fast?  Order it on-line here!


Please Note: A valid picture ID is required in order to process your request. A legible photocopy of the applicant's government issue photo ID needs to be included with this request.  Additionally, please note that the City Clerk’s office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 5:00pm. No request will be received outside of these normal business hours. Any request made after 2:00pm will be processed the following business day.

How do I get a certified copy of a vital record by mail?
For a birth record write a letter stating the following:
registrant's name at birth
date of birth
mother's maiden name
father's name
city of birth
the reason you want the certificate
your relationship to the registrant
AND including:
photocopy of your driver's license or photo ID
your signature
your check (first copy $15.00, $10.00 each additional copy) payable to "City of Rochester"

and mail to City Clerk's Office, 31 Wakefield St., Rochester, NH 03867

For a marriage record:
groom's / spouse A's name at the time of the marriage
bride's / spouse B's name at the time of the marriage
date of marriage
city in which you applied for the marriage license
the reason you want the certificate
your relationship to the person named in the record
AND including:
photocopy of your driver's license or photo ID
your signature
your check (first copy $15.00, $10.00 each additional copy) payable to "City of Rochester"

and mail to City Clerk's Office, 31 Wakefield St. Rochester, NH 03867

For a death record:
name on death certificate
date of death
city of death
the reason you want the certificate
your relationship to the person named in the record
AND including:
photocopy of your driver's license or photo ID
your signature
your check (first copy $15.00, $10.00 each additional copy) payable to "City of Rochester"
and mail to City Clerk's Office, 31 Wakefield St. Rochester, NH 03867

How much does it cost to get a marriage license?
The charge is $45.00.  The license is good for 90 days from the date of the application and can be used anywhere in the State of New Hampshire.  If this is not your first marriage, a certified copy with a raised seal of a death certificate or a divorce decree must be presented at the time of the application.  A blood test is not required to get a marriage license in New Hampshire.

Where do I get certified copies of a divorce decree?
For divorces that took place in New Hampshire after the year 1988, you may purchase a certified copy of your divorce decree from a City/Town Clerk office. You may also obtain them from the Court where the divorce was finalized.

How much does it cost to license a dog?
License fees are:
        $10.00 - Adult Dogs - Male or Female
        $ 7.50 - Puppies
$ 7.50 - Neutered Male or Spayed Female
$ 3.00 - Senior Citizens 65 years or older (First dog only)

For new dogs, you must present the certificate of rabies vaccination and a certificate of spay or neuter.

How long is the dog license good for?
Licenses are effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the following year.

What is the charge for notarizing a signature?
Basic Notary Public Services – No Fee
*Extended Notary Service
1. Requires more than one Notary Public
2. Requires a Notary to travel any distance within the City limits

How do I volunteer for a board or committee or apply to be an election official?
If you are interested in volunteering, you may first want to look through this WEB site to see what the various boards and committees do and what their meeting schedule is.  Once you have determined the one most interesting click here to download a copy of the application form.  Fill it out, sign it, and bring it to the City Clerk's office on the first floor of City Hall, 31 Wakefield Street.  You can also FAX it or mail it to the address at the top of this page.

How much it will cost to register my car?
This information is available from the Auto Registration Department.  It is located in the Revenue Building at 19 Wakefield Street and their phone number is 332-1136.

What day do they pick up my garbage?
It depends on where you live in the City.  The Turnkey Landfill number is 332-2386, or contact Lisa Clark, Department of Public Works Office Manager, 335-7572

Where do I file a UCC?
Effective July 1, 2001, UCC's are filed with the Secretary of State's Office, UCC Division, State House, Room 204, Concord, NH 03301.  The City Clerk's Office still accepts NH Department of Revenue Administration Liens, Federal Tax Liens, Hospital Liens and Town Tax Liens on Manufactured Housing.  Filing fees are $15.00 plus $4.00 per page.  

Where do I search for a UCC?
If the UCC was filed in Rochester prior to July 1, 2001, searches may be done in the City Clerk's Office.  The search fee is $10.00.  If the UCC was filed after July 1, 2001, you must contact the Secretary of State's Office

City of Rochester  31 Wakefield Street, Rochester, NH 03867     PH: (603) 335-7500
Virtual Towns & Schools Website