Skip Navigation
Photo of Rochester The City of Rochester, New Hampshire
Rochester City Seal
This table is used for column layout.
Buildings and Grounds
Contact TypeContact Information
Rochester Community Center
150 Wakefield Street, Suite 3
Rochester, NH 03867
After Hours Emergency:
7:00 AM to 4:00 PM, M-F
The Department of Public Buildings and Grounds is the "property management" arm of the City of Rochester.  We are responsible for:
- Maintenance of 16 City owned buildings, systems and their grounds
- Custodial service for 5 City owned buildings
- Maintenance for recreational facilities such as pools, playgrounds, tennis and basketball courts
- Maintenance of 20 plus acres of City owned parks and grounds
- Winter maintenance of City owned parking lots, driveways and walks
- Downtown maintenance to include litter cleanup, trash pick up, antique lights and banners
- Management of the Adopt-A-Spot and the Adopt-A-Basket programs
- Renovations of City owned facilities
- Project management of the design, bid and build process for new facilities and renovation of existing facilities


What does Public Buildings & Grounds do?
We provide maintenance for all City owned buildings and grounds except for school properties.

How do I contact Public Buildings & Grounds after hours in an emergency?
Call Rochester's Emergency Dispatch Center at 603-330-7127 and they will page the "on call" person for Public Buildings & Grounds who will respond to the emergency.

What is the Adopt-A-Spot Program?
This program was created by volunteers to brighten spots within the downtown and other highly visible locations with flower beds and landscaped areas.

What is the Adopt-A-Basket Program?
In 1999, the volunteers of the Adopt-A-Spot Program wanted to add color and beauty to our downtown area.  The City provides the hanging basket with flowers all planted and ready to go.  The Adopter's need only to maintain the baskets, including watering, fertilizing and picking off the dead heads.

How do I get involved in the Adopt-A-Spot or Adopt-A-Basket Programs?
Call Public Buildings & Grounds at 335-7563.  We will make sure you get a brochure and we will have the Program Coordinator contact you to answer any questions.

How do I obtain a building permit?
Until 1999 Public Buildings Code Enforcement was the Department.  Today, Code Enforcement is now the Department of Building, Zoning, and Licensing Services and is a separate department that handles all building, electrical, plumbing and other similar permits.  Their office is located at City Hall, 31 Wakefield Street.  Their phone number is 332-3508.  

How would I lease a space at the Rochester Community Center?
Call Public Buildings & Grounds at 335-7563.  Before you call, it is a good idea to have your space requirements, type of business and any other needs written down to discuss the possibilities.   

Who do I call to utilize recreational facilities or the Rochester Commons?
Call the Rochester Recreation Department at 332-4120.

How do I get on the Public Buildings & Grounds bid list?
Write a letter requesting that your firm be placed on a bid list for projects and/or materials.  Please give the name of the firm, the contact person's name and title, address, city, state, zip code, phone number, fax number, email address, and web site address along with the type of business, products supplied or services rendered.  This information will be kept in a database and you will be notified when a particular bid fits your firm's profile.

City of Rochester  31 Wakefield Street, Rochester, NH 03867     PH: (603) 335-7500
Virtual Towns & Schools Website